By: Stephanie Shin
Although many dread the long, dark, and cold winter days in the month of December, the winter solstice, also known as Yule, is definitely something to be celebrated. This Pagan holiday falls on December 21st, the shortest and darkest day of the year where the hours of nighttime are at its peak. However, with darkness comes light and as always once we arise from the darkness we are met by the sun.
The year 2020 for many was met with uncertainty and darkness, not knowing when one would see the light at the end of the tunnel. Just like we as humans all have our moments of doubt on when the darkness will disappear, the world is far more connected to us than we realize. Just as the following days of December 21st will be filled with more sunlight, we too need just a bit more patience until we can see a light amidst the darkness, shining even brighter and bringing back hope and assurance.
Unfortunately, waiting for this light is easier said than done; especially during a pandemic. Therefore, I am sharing my single serving pear galette recipe that hopefully acts as a light during the days where darkness is inevitable.
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ pear
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking soda.
- Once thoroughly mixed in, add in your vegan butter and agave syrup.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator, while you cut your pear into thin symmetrical slices.
- In another bowl, evenly coat the pear slices with cinnamon and coconut sugar.
- Place some parchment paper on an oven safe pan. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and flatten it on the parchment paper until it is around ½ inch thick.
- Add your sliced pear into the center of the dough and fold in the edges of your dough.
- Pop it into the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- For some extra sweetness drizzle agave syrup on top once it is out of the oven. Allow it to cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!